AFIC Software developer Job description
Authority. The Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Authority (PPDA) was established under the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act 2003. Under the Act and the Regulations issued there under, the Authority is mandated to regulate public procurement and disposal of public assets in the Uganda. The Authority regulates over 300 procuring and disposing entities (PDEs).
Africa Freedom of Information Centre (AFIC) is a Pan-African NGO and resource centre that promotes the right of access to information through comparative research, coordinating regional advocacy, facilitating information-sharing and capacity building. Since 2011, AFIC has collaborated with Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Authority (PPDA) in promoting value for money in public contracting through citizens’ access to information and public participation (open contracting).
Background. AFIC will contract software developers for the re-design of the Government Procurement Portal (GPP). The GPP will be redesigned from ground up to address specific performance issues. The redesign will be limited in scope to a publicly consumable API, well-structured database architecture to accommodate BIG DATA, properly documented and easy to maintain source code and a clearly defined data migration strategy from the old system to the new. There will not be any fundamental changes to the system user.
1. WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a software developer your tasks will include
- Reviewing the current system
- Presenting ideas for system improvements
- Working closely with analysts, designers and staff to implement software specifications
- Producing detailed specifications and writing the program codes
- Testing the product in controlled, real situations before going live
- Preparation of training manuals for users
- ABOUT YOU
- Have a degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university;
- Have at least 3 years demonstrable experience in working with the highlighted stack;
- Open to learn web technologies (NGINX, Apache etc.) and basic familiarity with Unix/Linux.
- Deep understanding of API design and core software design techniques;
- Proficient Technical understanding of both front-end and backend development
- Experience with MVC frameworks.
- Understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Basic knowledge in Lean / Agile Development environments
- Demonstrate high proficiency and experience throughout the software stack with an emphasis on systems and the back end
- Passion for building new things, processes, and culture
- Develop web applications and web services in a scalable and reusable manner
- Hours and environment
In most cases you’ll be working 37 to 40 hours a week, but in order to satisfactorily perform your duties, these times may vary and you can be required to working longer and later hours. The task is expected to be completed in 3 months.
- OUR TECH STACK
- SERVER: Ubuntu linux running
- Back-end: PHP, PYTHON, MySQL, MongoDB
- Testing: Mocha, Chai
- Infrastructure: Heroku,
- Tooling: GitLab, Trello, Slack
You will be required to keep as confidential all matters relating to the employer’s business especially documents and materials which come to your knowledge and possession by virtue of your employment, including personal information on past and current beneficiaries.
6. AVERAGE Salary
As a software developer you will earn a competitive monthly salary. This will be subject to satisfactory completion of detailed monthly work plans.
Interested and qualifying candidates should send an application letter and curriculum vitae (not more than 3 pages) with at least three professional references and their contact.
The deadline for applications to be received is 26th/October/ 2018 at 5.00 p.m.
To apply, please send your resume and a link to your Github account, or other examples of your work, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Full Stack Software Developer” as your email’s subject line.
September 02, 2019